When does child support or alimony start?

Lawyer's secret:   You can file for temporary support (child support and or alimony) to receive payments while the case is pending - you do not have to wait until the end of your case.

Many parents don't realize that they do not have to wait until the end of the divorce to get support. Child support and maintenance (alimony) can be ordered early in a divorce case.  After your attorney has filed the case and your spouse has has been served, either party may move the court to set temporary support, which will likely include temporary child support.

At a hearing or usually by agreement, a temporary child support obligation (and or alimony) will be set.  Later in the case, or at trial, a final amount will be determined. The sooner a case is filed, the sooner a child support obligation can be set by court order.  Delay will only postpone a court order instructing the obligor’s employer to withhold the support.  Support is sent to the county’s disbursement office and then sent to the custodial parent.

Generally, once a motion is filed to set support, either the spouses can come to an agreement on the issue or a hearing will be set within 60 days.  So, if you are in need of support while the case is pending, be sure to have your lawyer file for temporary support very early in the case.  

If you would like more information about how support is set, call Paul Nordini for a free same-day phone consulation.

Call Mr. Nordini at (630) 416-6600